Wednesday, January 8, 2014

How I found laughter in a government bathroom


Precarious. That was my position. Precariously squatting on the edge of the toilet bowl. The toes of my scuffed up pumps placed on each side of the seat. They were sliding ever so slowly toward the water beneath me and I was not coordinated enough to reposition myself without completely falling off so tensed my thigh muscles to hold on. I silently hoped I had grabbed my bag off the floor before she saw it and realized she was not alone in here. She came in so quickly; I hadn’t had time to prepare myself. My phone, which I had been playing bejeweled on until moments ago, was stuffed unceremoniously down my bra.

The only sounds were her relieving herself (for what felt like eternity) and the shuffle of her sketchers against the mint tile. I gritted my teeth and tried to stay balanced on my porcelain perch, desperate not to make a sound. One slip and she would know I wasn’t in a meeting like I had said: I was in the bathroom for the sole purpose of avoiding her. When your career is to keep children away from their mother because she’s been deemed “unsafe” by the law, the space between you becomes insurmountable. And the distance between our stalls seemed much to short.

I heard her readjust her clothing and head to sink. I breathed a solitary sigh of relief…. Too soon. With an almighty splash, my foot slipped into the sea of germs beneath me and I screamed as I wacked my head on the wall.

“Fuck”, I gasped, my leg still positioned in the toilet bowl. The water had splashed all over my jeans and I was barely holding onto the shiny, metal support bar on the wall.

“You ok in there?” she asked in a bemused tone.

I tried to disguise my voice, “Uh… yeah…. Just, just dropped something in the… yeah”. Yeah. I just dropped my pride and any hope secrecy. No big deal.

“Ok” she said and quickly vacated, leaving the awkwardness air to mingle with my shame. I noticed she didn’t wash her hands. Of course she didn’t wash her hands. Then I realized my foot was still in the toilet and I gagged at my self-righteousness. I quickly got up, trailing water behind me, and scrubbed my leg with paper towels.  Fuck fuck fuck. My language is the least of a hundred things my job has slowly but deliberately eroded. My job. The familiar train of thought charged through my brain.  Of course this would happen to me. I’m cursed. I thought this was what I was supposed to do. I hate this job. I hate everything about everything…

The train halted abruptly, its whistle resounding in my brain: What am I doing with my life?

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cried since I’ve worked for DCFS. I can’t tell you how many difficult decisions I’ve made, how many times I’ve been called a bitch, how much responsibility I have to carry on my young, naïve shoulders, or the many difficult positions my clients have bent my psyche into. It’s like being told to have sex with someone you don’t know and don’t necessarily want to be with: devastating to the emotions and hugely, irrevocably intimate. Somehow in the act of trying to repair peoples’ lives from the outside, the vast empty on the inside grows to insidious proportions. It’s terribly difficult to fight how that empty sucks everything away and simultaneously connects me to the people I've come to love and truly hate. And here I was sitting on the bathroom floor in a government building covered in toilet water, because my love for a client and inability to accept her failure drove me to literally hide in the bathroom. Gee whiz.

It just hurts. Life just hurts. I bent my knees to my chest and buried my nose in between my thighs. There are pieces of me that still hold onto hope that there’s more to this life than what I see. Those pieces that have loved unconditionally. Those pieces that helped a few people succeed in the child welfare system. The pieces that can laugh with my friends even when the whole world tastes bitter and incomplete. The wholesome pieces that truly love life. But I often feel exactly how I am: in a mess I’ve created from avoiding my problems, very unsure how to proceed, and seriously debating crawling back into the stall I just came out of. I’m 22 years old and I’m somehow supposed to make decisions about other peoples’ lives. I’m supposed to try and help them surmount insurmountable problems. I’m somehow supposed to be able to deal with the hurt and sad and empty and pain and anger and brokenness and responsibility and failed promises and cruelty of circumstances and the injustice of the system and the vulnerability of humankind. And somehow I’m supposed to want to keep living….

It was there on the bathroom floor I began to laugh. It started with a smile as I looked at my damp jeans, evolved into a chuckle as I imagined myself balancing on the toilet and my client’s total confusion, and solidified into true laughter as I considered how childish the situation was and how comedic the outcome was. Precarious. That was my position. Precariously wavering on the division of devastation and comedy. Child abuse isn’t funny but people are.... even in situations that make most cringe. Wanna hear a story how a client offered me pizza in a bathroom that she got from her pimp? Or how two twenty something caseworkers tried to parent a foster kid on a four hour drive? Or how one of my coworker's clients likes to try to bribe government workers? Or about the accidental texts we get from clients who are high? Or how some parents like to name their kids after different STI's?
 
Maybe that’s the ultimate choice for me: choosing whether to laugh or whether to cry. Because, dang, if falling into a toilet isn’t funny, I don’t know what is.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment