Saturday, November 5, 2011

I also know how important it is, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong.







I was obsessed with the story of Chris McCandless for months last year... and still kind of am. To me, his story was an inspiration. He was bold. He was thoughtful. He tried things. He pushed boundaries. He saw beauty. Though I do not think his philosophies are complete in any way, I think they are beautiful. 


It's funny... throughout his journey he emphasizes a kind of individuality or autonomy. Being alone, one on one against the elements, is the way to be connected with something greater - the way to find oneself. Very Nietzsche-esque. And yet one of the last things he wrote, as he was dying in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness, was "happiness is only real when it's shared".


More on Chris later... I really am obsessed with him.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment